How to measure led lights with multimeter
Published time: 2018-09-26
OVERVIEW OF ARTICLE
With the development of electronic technology, daily lighting has also joined the trend of electronic technology.
In order to further save energy and improve energy efficiency, light-emitting diodes (LEDs) are the best choice for lighting.
There are many ways to supply LED lamps. The common methods are switching power supply and RC series.
Powered by switching power supply, high efficiency, small impact of market voltage fluctuations, but high cost.
The use of RC series power supply is the most common method at present, because the energy saving effect is also very good.
The polarity symbol of the diode is A for the anode (commonly known as positive), K for the cathode (commonly known as negative), and the current is generally flowing from A to K.
The brightness of the LED lamp is measured by lumens, and the illumination distance is related to the wavelength.
THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE POINTER MULTIMETER AND THE DIGITAL MULTIMETER
To measure a single LED with a universal meter, you need to see whether you are using a pointer multimeter or a digital multimeter.
The polarity of the two of them is different. The black meter (negative meter) of the pointer multimeter is connected to the battery positive pole, and the red meter pen is connected to the negative pole of the circuit inside the meter.
When using the pointer multimeter, the gear should be adjusted to RX10, the black pen is connected to the LED light, and the red pen is connected to the LED short leg. If the light is on, it indicates that the light is good, but some special LED lights need to be supplied higher. Voltage, the built-in battery of the mechanical watch usually only has 2 knots (3V), which is impossible to measure.
The digital universal meter measures the LED. The red test pen is connected to the positive pole of the internal circuit of the universal meter.
The black test lead is connected to the negative pole of the battery. When measuring, the gear position is adjusted to Rx20, the red pen is connected to the long leg of the LED, the black pen is connected to the short leg of the LED, and the LED light is connected.
Light of the corresponding color is emitted to prove that the LED light is good.
The step of measuring the quality of led lights with multimeter
With the popularity of LEDs, more and more people are aware of the energy-saving and environmentally friendly, non-polluting characteristics of LEDs.
They have begun to select the preferred lamps as LED lights.
In addition, LEDs are also widely used in home appliance smart products, such as indicator lights and operation effect.
When we need to repair these LEDs we often need to identify the quality of a Led chip.
Jotrin Electronics engineer will introduce the specific measurement process of LED lights to you.
TEST TOOLS THAT WE NEED
various types of LED lights beads
THE METHODS AND STEPS OF TESTING
Observing the appearance of the lamp bead and see if the lamp bead is obviously burnt or damaged.
Differentiate between the anode and the cathode of the lamp bead. In general, the new LED lamp has a long leg with a positive pin and a negative pin.
Firstly,adjusting to the multimeter gear to the "transistor file"
The multimeter red pen is in contact with the lamp anode lead, and the multimeter black pen is in contact with the cathode lead. If it is a pointer type multimeter, it is necessary to touch the black pen to the anode lead of the lamp, and the red pen touches the cathode lead of the lamp to observe whether it is lit and the color of the light is normal.
If the light is on, it means that the function of the lamp bead is basically unaffected. If it is not lit, exchange the red and black test leads and test again. In order to avoid the anode and cathode of some lamp beads, the opposite of the common anode and cathode.
Observing the color of the lamp bead when the bead is lit, whether the color temperature meets the requirements, and whether the brightness is appropriate.
Reminder:The forward voltage drop of the LED diode is generally 2..7-3.6V. Please do not add a voltage higher than this value to both ends of the lamp to avoid damaging the diode
THE LED LIGHTING YOU MAY LIKE
The Toshiba TLP155E consists of GaAℓAs infrared light emitting diodes and integrated high gain, high-speed photodetectors.
- 1.Nordic nRF9160 SiP cellular iot modules show up in the 2019 MWC
- 2.SCHURTER introduces the latest FMAB HV series universal single-phase EMI filter
- 3.Melexis announces the launch of the industry's smallest medical-grade FIR sensor
- 4.Xilinx releases new heterogeneous computing devices - Versal? AI Core and Versal Prime
- 5.Mimix Broadband Solves an Entire MMIC Chip Using AXIEM 3D Planar EM Software
- 6.Intel is delaying plans to build a fab in Israel
- 7.Diodes is introducing a new line of low-voltage potential converters
- 8.More accurate and sensitive, Bourns fully upgraded sensor series
- 9.Renesas electronics has developed a new flash memory technology to achieve the industry's maximum capacity and fastest random access operations
- 10.AD7616BSTZ ata Conversion ICs
- 11.Vishay Introduces New 1 A and 2 A FRED Pt? Rectifiers
- 12.Renesas Electronics Introduces Embedded Flash Low-Power Technology Based on SOTB Process for Energy Harvesting and No Battery Power
- 13.Littelfuse with extension of PolySwitch ? setP ? series digital temperature indicator
- 14.Why are Intel and Dell Ian’s favored FPGAs?
- 15.What brand of chip is good?